Spiritual Thoughts by Jenny V

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Thoughts On Tithing

Malachi 3: 8 - 11


“Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’ “In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit,” says the Lord Almighty.

Am I robbing God? Ouch. That bites. There was a time when I was doing so. Looking back I feel as if there is a lot to be re-paid. In the past several years, we have been tithing. God has been gracious and as he says, he has poured out his blessings upon us. Shame on me for taking some of it for granted.

I confess, I often find myself consumed with dreaming of things that I'd like to have... a place I'd like to be... and a way of life different than today. I often find myself missing the opportunities of today as I'm lost in sweet dream about tomorrow. Interestingly, my dreams of tomorrow are usually about what I'd like to do in this life instead of what Heaven will be like. God tells us to store up for ourselves treasures in Heaven and not on earth. Why is that so hard? I must remind myself that any day that I find myself in such circumstances that it is Satan who is delighting in it. He's busy tempting me away from heavenly thoughts. He's basking in the glory of my sin... pulling me away from God... preventing me from enjoying what the Lord has for me TODAY.

Dear Lord ~ Please help me to keep my focus on you. You know the plans you have for me. Please mold me in such a way that the desires of my heart parallel that which you desire for me. Push me in the right direction and go before me to prepare the way. Change my heart to seek only you and give me strength to remain a fully devoted follower of Christ in all circumstances. For His glory. Amen.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • PA! I came over from the LPM blog..

    Girl I have been hoping to find someone on here from PA. I was wondering if you are near Potter county? That is about 4 hours from me, but I have seen moose there and they are really big!

    Great blog and when I get a chance to come back and sit I will!

    new blog address 4evrhis.wordpress.com This won't list in the google set up so I used the old one :)

    PA! I am so excited!! I have a siesta in PA! Thank you Jesus!

    By Blogger Darla, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home