Spiritual Thoughts by Jenny V

Sunday, July 30, 2006

James 4:13-17

Jam 4:13
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”
Jam 4:14
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
Jam 4:15
Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.”
Jam 4:16
As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
Jam 4:17
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.


This passage reminds me that God is in control. Someone once asked me "What are your plans after Seminary?" My response was "We'll go wherever God sends us." She proceeded to explain how profound that answer may be. She often heard students recite their own plans, destinations, and dreams and explained that we so often forget that God is in control.

In my travels, I have learned that the road map of life has so many different directions. We must train ourselves to hear the Spirit calling us this way or that. It's the journey that teaches us. Blessings abound regarless of the route, so long as we keep the eternal perspective in the forefront of our travels.

Verse 14 reminds us that life is shiort. We must not waste it. Occasionally we are reminded of our own mortality. When we lose a loved one, we realize how short life really is.

Verse 17 reminds us that we are to be obedient. As the Spirit instructs us, especially throught the paths of life, we must obey. To ignore creates guilt, which is derived from sin. The Lord had plans for us in going to Seminary. He also changed our direction sending us home. His timing was perfect.

Lord, speak to me and align your plan for my life. Let me understand my calling and bless me for being obedient. Fill my heart with the desires that you have for me so that through the actions of my life I may proclaim your glory.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home